While using WhatsApp, you are likely to send or receive lots of stickers to express emotions in a more interesting way. Because of this, stickers play a significant role while chatting via text messages. Therefore, it is imperative to know the process that can help you transfer WhatsApp stickers to a new phone when you upgrade to a new smartphone and don’t want to lose the emoticons that you frequently use to convey your behavior.
The following sections teach you how to transfer WhatsApp stickers to a new phone regardless of the platform. This further means that you will learn how to get the task done on both iPhone and Android cellphones.
There are several methods that you can use to transfer WhatsApp stickers to a new phone from an old one. Some of the most trusted solutions are given below.
Solution 1: Backup and Restore WhatsApp
The good news is that this method works on both Android and iPhone. Because the interface of WhatsApp is almost identical for both platforms, the process to transfer the stickers remains the same, and is explained below:
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android or iPhone (iPhone 13 Pro Max is used here for illustrations).
- Tap Settings from the bottom-right corner of the WhatsApp interface.
- Tap Chats from the Settings screen.
- Tap Chat Backup from the Chats window.
- Tap Back Up Now from the Chat Backup screen that appears next.
- Wait while your WhatsApp chat is backed up.
- Grab your new phone (it must be an iPhone in this case).
- Use the same Apple ID to set up the phone that you used on the old one.
- Go to App Store.
- Download and install WhatsApp.
- Use the same number to set up WhatsApp.
- When iPhone prompts, follow the on-screen instructions to restore WhatsApp backup from iCloud.
Note: If you are using Android phones, you need to back up WhatsApp to Google Drive.
If you are switching from an iPhone to an Android phone, or from an Android phone to an iPhone, you can check this blog.
Although this method works for both iPhone and Android devices, the platform of both old and new phones must be the same. For example, if you have backed up WhatsApp on an Android device to Google Drive, you will be prompted to restore WhatsApp only if the new phone also runs on the Android operating system, and you have used the same Gmail ID to sign in. The same is the case with iPhone. You will get the “restore from WhatsApp backup” option only if both old and new phones use iOS, and you are signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID.
Solution 2: Transfer WhatsApp Stickers Folder to New Phone
This method works only on Android devices. This is because while using Android, you can access the phone’s internal storage and copy, move, and paste, the objects as required. This is something that iOS doesn’t offer. The step-by-step process to move the WhatsApp Stickers folder to a new phone is given below:
- On your Android smartphone, go to My Files (Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ is used here for illustrations).
- Tap Internal storage. (Or you can go to the external storage if you have configured your smartphone to save all the files on an SD card.).
- Scroll down and tap WhatsApp.
- Tap the Media folder.
- Long-tap to select the WhatsApp Stickers folder.
- Tap Share from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Share Via Wi-Fi Direct if/when the phone prompts.
- Follow the on-screen instructions from there to send the WhatsApp Stickers folder to the new phone.
- Optionally, you can connect your Android phone to your PC, copy or move the WhatsApp Stickers container to the computer’s local drive, and then use your preferred method to transfer the folder from there to the new phone.
Solution 3: Send the Stickers to a Contact
This method is pretty simple. All you need to do is sending your favorite stickers to any of your trusted WhatsApp contacts, logging out of your WhatsApp account from the old phone, setting up WhatsApp with the same number on the new phone, and then requesting your contact to send the stickers back to you. Then you can save them to your WhatsApp on the new phone. This process is a little time-consuming, but it works to transfer WhatsApp stickers to your new phone.
Solution 4: Use a Third-Party Tool
If you don’t want to go through the lengthy processes explained in the previous solutions, an easy way to get the job done is with the help of an efficient third-party tool. Although you can pick any program that is available in the market for the purpose, an application that is comparatively convenient to use is WatsGo by iToolab.
WatsGo is a WhatsApp transfer, backup, and restore tool. Except for being a powerful tool for WhatsApp transfer between iOS and Android devices, it can also export WhatsApp data to your computer.
The process to transfer WhatsApp from one device to another using WatsGo is explained below:
- Choose WhatsApp Backup feature on the Home page. Follow the on-screen guide to finish the backup of your WhatsApp data.
- Once the backup has been completed, click View Backup List. Then you will see the backup you just made.
- Choose the backup and click View Backup. WatsGo will scan the backup and show you different types of WhatsApp data. You can easily find the category Stickers.
- Select the stickers that you want and click Export to computer. If you choose Restore to device, then all the WhatsApp messages and other data will be restored to your device.
- After that, you can transfer all the WhatsApp stickers to your new phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Even after learning how to transfer WhatsApp stickers to a new phone, you may still have a couple of doubts. Some of the frequently asked questions and their answers are given below:
1. How do export stickers from WhatsApp?
If you are using an Android device, the stickers are saved in the WhatsApp > Media > WhatsApp Stickers folder. You can either copy or move your favorite stickers one at a time, or transfer the entire folder to a new device. In the case of the iPhone, you can use the tool UnicTool ChatMover to export the stickers at once.
2. How to add GIF to WhatsApp sticker?
This process is simple. However, the methods vary for Android and iPhone.
To add a GIF to WhatsApp sticker on an Android phone, launch WhatsApp, tap to open the contact you want to send the GIF to, tap the message input field from the bottom, tap GIF from the options available above the virtual keyboard, search for and tap the GIF you want to send, and tap the ‘Send’ icon from the bottom-right corner. This will also save the GIF to the WhatsApp Stickers container on Android, and within the app itself on an iPhone.
On the other hand, if you’re using an iPhone, go to the recipient’s chat box, tap the ‘+’ icon from the left of the text input field, tap ‘Photo & Video Library’ from the menu that appears, and tap ‘GIF’ from the bottom-left corner. Search for and tap the GIF file from the screen that opens next, and tap the ‘Send’ icon from the bottom-right corner of the next window to send the GIF file to the contact.
Once this is done, the GIF is added to WhatsApp as a sticker which can be accessed from the WhatsApp Stickers folder on Android, and from within the app itself on an iPhone. You can add it to the star GIF stickers.
After going through all the sections explained above, it is assumed that you now know how to transfer WhatsApp stickers to a new phone. In a nutshell, if you are using any of the free solutions offered by WhatsApp or Android or iPhone, the process could be lengthy and tedious. If you don’t come from a technical background or do not want to invest that much time in following the long procedures, you can always go for an efficient third-party tool that can help you complete the task with a few mouse clicks.