It is not easy to read the chats and data stored on Google Drive, especially the WhatsApp backup. The chats can be read but not from Google Drive directly. The need to read the WhatsApp chats has led to the creation of some tools that will enable one to read the chats and even view pictures and other files that are stored on Google Drive.
Other than using tools, other procedures can be undertaken to help one read the WhatsApp chats that are stored in Google Drive.
This article will give some insights on how to access and read WhatsApp backup on Google Drive.
Can I See My WhatsApp Backup Directly on Google Drive?
It is almost impossible to read WhatsApp backup directly from Google Drive. The backup can only be seen with the delete option but cannot be opened to be read or viewed. To confirm the presence of a backup in Google Drive, one follows the following steps:
- Open drive.google.com
- Log in with your credentials, your password and email address.
- At the bottom left corner, click the figure just below the word ‘Storage.’
- Then click ‘Backups’ at the top right after the new page has opened.
The backups will appear on that page but can only be deleted without the viewing option. To read the chats available in the backup, one has to carry out the following simple procedures.
View WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive by Restoring It to Phone
Restoring the backup to the phone may seem like a tedious process, but it is easy. This can be done by uninstalling the older version of the application and replacing it with a new one that can be downloaded from the Play store. However, you will lose the data on your phone that has not been backed up to Google Drive.
Please do not back up the data to Google Drive before you uninstall WhatsApp because the old backup on Google Drive will be overwritten. You can try to backup your data to l local storage if you don’t want to lose the new data.
The following steps can be used to restore the WhatsApp backup on Google Drive to your phone.
- First of all, the older version of WhatsApp should be uninstalled and a new one installed.
- Open the new WhatsApp and activate it with the same phone number.
- Verify the phone number by using the verification code sent to the number.
- A pop-up window will show up asking you to restore WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. That should be allowed by simply clicking RESTORE.
After the restoration process, the chats can be visible on the main chat screen of WhatsApp. This is one of the most effective ways to read WhatsApp backup, but it has one disadvantage. The chats currently on the phone will be lost.
Read WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive via a Tool
Since it is impossible to read the chats direct from Google Drive, certain tools have been created and developed to help us read the chats. iMyFone is a software company that came up with iTransor. This tool was mainly made for the transferring of WhatsApp data between phones, even with different operating systems like Android and iOS. This tool can as well do many more tasks like downloading and reading the WhatsApp chats backed up on Google Drive.
The best part of it is that you can download and scan the WhatsApp backup on Google Drive and show you the data in detail for free although it is a paid software if you want to use the other features.
To acquire this application on your computer, visit the website, hit the download button, and wait for the setup file to finish downloading. Run the setup as administrator after downloading and allow it to install. Follow the following steps after the installation to download your data from Google Drive.
- Start the application and click on the Restore/Export WhatsApp Backup button on the bottom left of the home screen.
- Tap on Import Google Drive Backups button on the left lower side that allows one to download backup data from Google Drive.
- Then you will be required to log in to the google account with your personal credentials, that is, email address and password.
- The application will request access to your data in Google that will lead to a pop-up message requesting you to allow the access.
- The backed-up data in Google Drive will show up and you will be required to download the data that you need.
- Click ‘Export To Computer’ to view the details. The WhatsApp attachments like photos, videos, documents, files, contacts, and audio will be seen on the screen, including the messages.
At this point, the messages can be seen, including attachments. The data can be read at this point. The data can as well be exported to the computer or restored to the phone as per the owner’s wish. However, if you want to restore the data to your phone, you cannot do it at this step. Check the guide below.
The restoration process can be done using the following steps.
- Connect the phone using a USB cable to the personal computer
- Then from the tab ‘Restore/Export WhatsApp Backup‘, choose the backup you’ve just downloaded, and click ‘Restore to Device’ to start the restoration process.
Some settings should be changed in the phone to allow the process. USB debugging should be enabled on the android phone using the following steps.
- Go to the settings and open developer options.
- Under debugging, turn on the USB debugging.
- If the phone does not have developer options, go to ‘About phone’ or ‘About device,’ then go to the build number and tap it seven times.
- During the restoration process, a custom WhatsApp will be installed. Follow all the guidelines as they will pop up on the screen to complete the WhatsApp set up and all your chats will be restored successfully.
IMyFone gives us a straightforward way to read the backed-up data from Google Drive by creating the special tool iTransor, which has shown how important it is. This is one of the effective ways to read WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. Try it now for free.
Reading the backed-up data directly from Google Drive may be hard, but with rising technologies and innovations, a solution must always be found. A solution like reinstalling WhatsApp and using the same number to activate it is very effective, but the current data in the phone can be lost during the process.
Using a third-party tool is also a valid and effective way to access the WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. A tool like iTransor is very effective for this. It also guarantees no data loss during the process. It is a very good tool that is easy to use. Try it sometime, and you will get incredible results.