A malfunctioning iPad microphone can cause many inconveniences to users. There are many various factors that can lead to this problem. However, you should not worry much when your iPad microphone stops working because there are many simple solutions to fix this issue.
How to Fix iPad Microphone not Working
Below are various solutions to help you fix your iPad microphone and make it work properly.
1. Remove iPad case
Sometimes cases that are not cut out or designed properly to fit a specific iPad model may cause the iPad microphone to stop working. This is because the iPad case might block the microphone hence affecting its function. To check if your iPad case is the problem or not, remove the case and carefully inspect it to ensure that it does not hinder the iPad microphone anyhow. You can also record a video to confirm if the iPad microphone works well after removing the case.
2. Clean iPad microphone
The iPad microphone is sensitive to moisture and dirt deposits. Therefore, you have to always make sure there is no dust or any smudge on the iPad microphone that can cause it to stop working. This mostly happens if you’re in an area prone to dust such as an active construction site where lots of dust are produced. To thoroughly clean your iPad microphone, you need to use a soft-bristled brush to brush off and clean the dust from the microphone.
3. Test iPad microphone
Sometimes it is not your iPad microphone not working but some of the apps have problems. To test whether your iPad microphone works or not, you need to use your camera to record a video with sound. If you can play a video you record with sound, then it might be a problem with the app. In this case, check if you enabled the permission for the microphone for this app or update the app. You can even contact the app’s developer. However, if you fail to record audio in that video, then it means your iPad microphone is not working at all.
Some applications like Zoom always ask for permission to use the microphone when you start using the app. If you deny access to the iPad microphone then you will not be able to use the device microphone while you’re using the app. To enable the permission of microphone for apps on your iPad, do the following:
- Go to Settings on your device.
- If you have a specific app with which you are having difficulties using your iPad microphone, then scroll down to that app.
- When the menu for “Allow app to access”, opens up, toggle On to Enable Microphone access.
- Repeat the same for every app that you need to use a microphone for.
If you have problems using the microphone with a specific app only, then you should try to install the latest version of that app on your iPad. To do this:
- Open App Store on your iPad.
- Click the Account picture.
- Install any pending update.
In case the iPad microphone doesn’t work on that particular app even after you updated and enabled permission for the microphone for it, then you need to contact the app’s developer for more help. You can do this by:
- Opening the app.
- Click on Settings and then Help.
- Tap on Contact Us which will then give you an opportunity to talk to the app developer for more assistance.
4. Turn off Bluetooth
Some total wireless stereos automatically disconnect when placed in the case but other Bluetooth devices continue to connect even when placed in the case. Therefore, if your iPad was connected to a Bluetooth device that doesn’t stop functioning even when it’s placed in its case, then your iPad will continue to use the microphone of your connected Bluetooth device whenever you need audio services.
To disconnect any connected Bluetooth device on your iPad:
- Swipe down from the top right corner.
- Then Open the Control Centre menu.
- Confirm if any device is connected to your iPad. If there’s any, disconnect it.
Alternatively, you can just turn off Bluetooth on your iPad. To do this:
- Open Settings on your iPad.
- Click on Bluetooth.
- Turn Off Bluetooth on your iPad.
5. Disable AirPlay
AirPlay is one of the features designed by Apple to help you to stream and share content across various Apple devices and other devices.
If you are using AirPlay to stream content from an app on your iPad, your iPad microphone will seem to be not working because the other device will play the sound. You can easily turn off AirPlay by:
- Swipe from the top of your iPad to open the control center.
- If the Airplay is on, you will see the blue icon in the media player area.
- Press the icon and you will see the device you’re streaming to.
- Choose your iPad and then the Airplay will be turned off.
6. Check if your iPad is stuck on headphone mode
Sometimes your iPad might malfunction and continue using the microphone of your headphones even after you take off the headphones from the headphone jack. This means that the iPad is now stuck on headphone mode. This mostly happens when dirt, moisture, and other debris get stuck in the headphone jack.
To solve this issue and get your iPad out from the headphone mode, you will have to thoroughly clean the headphone jack. You can also use the end of the cartridge of a BIC pen to help you remove debris from the headphone jack. Compressed air blown into the jack can help to loosen and remove debris stuck in the headphone jack. However, you have to be extremely careful to prevent damaging the jack in the process.
7. Reset all settings
If your iPad microphone is still not working, you can try resetting all settings on your iPad because sometimes there might be some conflicts with the settings so that some features of your iPhone cannot work normally.
Reset all settings means that all the settings done on your device will be cleared and the iPad returned to its original settings. However, your personal data such as photos, videos, and documents will remain unchanged. To reset all settings on your iPad:
- Open Settings.
- Then tap on General.
- Click on Transfer or Reset iPad.
- Click on Reset.
- Lastly, select Reset All Settings.
8. Update iPad software
To get the best performance and fewer glitches on your iPad you need to update it to the latest iOS version. An outdated device tends to experience system malfunction such as unresponsive touch screens, a microphone that doesn’t work, and many others. To update your iPad software:
- Open Settings on your iPad.
- Click on General and then Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install in case a software update is readily available.
- Your iPad will then successfully finish updating your iOS.
- Enjoy using your iPad without any glitches.
9. Check hardware at Apple store
After attempting all these outlined solutions, if you find out that your iPad microphone is still not working then it will mean that your device has hardware issues. The only recommended solution is for your to visit your nearest Apple store to check the hardware of your iPad and get professional assistance. To be able to check hardware at Apple store, you need to :
- Open the Apple Store App.
- Click on Stores.
- Select an appointment with Apple specialists depending on your device problems.
- Choose an Apple store close to you for your appointment.
- Make sure to Visit the Store on the appointed day and time in order to check the hardware of your iPad and get professional assistance.
I hope all these outlined solutions help you to quickly fix and enjoy using your iPad microphone without any hiccups.