Have you accidentally erased videos from your WhatsApp and you wish to know if there is a chance to recover them? If that is the case, worry not because this article pinpoints the various methods you can use to recover WhatsApp deleted videos on any smartphone, especially iPhones and Android. Below are a few recommendations for recovering WhatsApp deleted videos from an iPhone and also an Android phone.
- How to Recover Deleted Videos from WhatsApp on iPhone
- How to Recover Deleted Videos from WhatsApp on Android
How to Recover Deleted Videos from WhatsApp on iPhone
There are several ways to recover deleted WhatsApp videos on iPhone. If you have recently deleted a treasured video from your WhatsApp on iPhone, you should consider following the methods listed below.
Check Photos App
Some people like to save important WhatsApp videos to iPhone. Some even enabled “Save to Camera Roll” in WhatsApp settings which means photos and videos you receive will be automatically saved to iPhone’s camera roll which is in the Photos app. These videos can be found in a WhatsApp folder in the Photos app. When you delete a video from your WhatsApp, it will not be deleted from the Photos app.
Even if you delete the WhatsApp videos from the camera roll, you can check the Recently Deleted folder which holds deleted videos and photos for 30 days. To do this:
- Find and open the Photos app on your iPhone and click on albums
- Then navigate down, under the Other Albums section click on Recently Deleted. All the photos and videos you deleted in the past 30 days will be displayed there.
- Now you have to select and tick your preferred video and click on recover. It will then be restored to your iPhone.
Use an iCloud Backup
What if your desired video is not saved to the Photos app or has been permanently deleted from your iPhone? Can you recover it back to your device? Well, the answer to this depends on whether you have a backup from which you can recover your video. iCloud is an inbuilt Apple service designed to keep your data up to date as well as to safely store your personal data in the cloud. First, confirm whether you have an existing WhatsApp backup on iCloud. To do this:
- Go to WhatsApp, then find and tap on Settings
- From there go to Chats and click on Chat Backup. You have to make sure the backup includes the deleted WhatsApp videos by checking the backup time. Otherwise, there is no need to restore the backup.
- After verifying that you have a recent backup, you then have to delete and uninstall WhatsApp from your iPhone.
- Afterward, reinstall WhatsApp, verify your phone number, and follow the on-screen instructions to set up your account and restore your chat history from the WhatsApp backup on iCloud.
- You will then be able to see your deleted WhatsApp video after this process.
However, for this procedure to go well you have to ensure that your iCloud Drive is on, you should also sign in with your Apple ID and also confirm if your iPhone has enough storage space.
If you lost your videos after performing a factory reset on your iPhone, then you need to complete the reactivation process on your phone. Afterward, go to the Application and Data interface. There:
- Choose and tap on the Restore from iCloud backup
- Then select your preferred backup and enter your Apple ID
- Lastly, click on Restore Backup. The recovery procedure will take a few minutes to hours depending on the size of your data and the internet speed.
Use an iTunes Backup
This method only works for those who made a backup through iTunes which includes the deleted WhatsApp videos. Here is how to do that.
- On your personal computer, open iTunes; but if you are using a mac with a macOS such as Catalina or later, open Finder.
- With the help of a USB cable, link your iPhone to your computer and follow the onscreen guidelines.
- Also, make sure to select your device when it appears on the Finder or iTunes window.
- From there, select Restore Backup, and iTunes will restore the backup you chose.
The average backup restoration time varies depending on the size of your backup. When the process is over you will then be able to view your recovered WhatsApp videos.
Use a Data Recovery Tool
For those who don’t have any backup and want to recover the permanently deleted WhatsApp videos, they have to try the third-party data recovery tools. There are many choices online. You can choose What you like. Here we introduce Tenorshare UltData. Here is how to use this tool to recover deleted WhatsApp videos.
- Download Tenorshare UltData and install it on your PC or Mac. Open the program.
- Choose Recover Data from iOS Devices.
- Then with the help of a USB cable, connect your phone to your computer.
- Choose the data type WhatsApp and tap on Scan. This might run a few minutes and maybe longer which depends on how much data you have on your iPhone.
- After the scanning, search and choose the deleted videos you want to restore, from there click on Recover to PC. Your preferred video and other chosen media will be recovered to your iPhone.
How to Recover Deleted Videos from WhatsApp on Android
Same as iPhone, you can check the Photos app if you have saved the deleted videos to your camera roll before the deletion. If not, check the other solutions below:
Use Local Backup or Google Drive Backup
WhatsApp can back up to your Android phone’s local storage as well as to Google Drive. It also gives you an option to select the automatic backup frequency, so that you either backup your data daily or weekly, or monthly. If your deleted WhatsApp videos are backed up recently, you can restore the backup to your phone. The steps for restoring WhatsApp backup in local storage or on Google Drive are almost the same.
- Confirm whether you have an existing backup on your Google Drive from Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- If you do, then proceed to delete and uninstall WhatsApp on your phone.
- Reinstall WhatsApp again on your phone.
- You will see a similar screen to the image below. Follow the on-screen guidelines to set up your account and restore chat history.
Use a Data Recovery Tool
If you don’t have a backup or the backup may not include the WhatsApp videos you deleted, you can also use a data recovery tool like Tenorshare UltData for Android. Here are the steps:
- Install the program.
- Choose “Recover WhatsApp Data”.
- Connect your Android device.
- Scan your device for the deleted WhatsApp videos.
- Preview and recover the videos.
Personal data such as WhatsApp videos may be lost while uninstalling WhatsApp from your device, changing phones, or even factory resetting your device. As such, it is important to always remember to backup your data in a safe place such as Google Drive, iTunes, or iCloud depending on your OS. Hopefully, you managed to recover your deleted WhatsApp video on your iPhone or Android using some of the methods above.