Unlike in the past, we now have various essential communication platforms such as WeChat which makes life so much easy as people are now able to interact and share important messages without much hassle. One of the challenges that come with WeChat includes the loss of important data. Therefore, this article will introduce all solutions you can use to recover your WeChat chat history in case you delete or lost important WeChat messages or other data.
- One Way to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History on Both iPhone and Android
- Two Ways to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History on iPhone
- One Way to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History without Backup
One Way to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History on Both iPhone and Android
The only way to recover deleted WeChat history on Android without the help of any tool is by restoring the backup you made before. WeChat does not allow you to back up data to the local storage of your phone. However, it permits one to make a backup of their data on their computer and later restore it to the device. This method works for both Android and iPhone users. If you had successfully backed up your WeChat data to your computer before, follow these steps below to restore it.
- Launch WeChat for Windows or Mac on your computer and enter the login details that you used on your phone.
- At the bottom of your window there will be three horizontal lines, proceed to tap on those.
- From the given menu select the Backup and Restore option
- On the pop-up, tap on the Restore on phone option.
- Then select your preferred chat history that has to be restored.
- You will be prompted to confirm this procedure. Make sure that your phone and the computer are connected to the same WiFi. Afterward, your chat history will be restored back to your phone.
Two Ways to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History on iPhone
In order to recover your WeChat chat history on iPhone, you need to have a backup of your data, either on a computer or on iCloud. If you do, follow the methods below to recover your chat history.
Recover WeChat Chat History using iTunes
One method that can be used to recover deleted WeChat messages and even other types of data on an iPhone is using iTunes backup. Many people have a habit of backing up iPhone data to computers regularly, but some people don’t know iTunes also backs up WeChat. If you have a recent iTunes backup, to recover your deleted WeChat chat history, you need to:
- On your PC, search and launch the iTunes program.
- With the help of an Apple USB cable, connect your device to your computer.
- Then click the iPhone icon at the top left corner when it appears on the iTunes window.
- Tap on the Restore Backup and then select the latest iTunes backup to restore to your iPhone.
After the restoration, you can check your deleted WeChat chat history. However, this method doesn’t allow you to select which WeChat chat history to restore, and you have to restore the whole backup to your device. That means all the other data on your iPhone will be replaced by the data in the latest iTunes backup. To some extent, you will have a loss of some other data.
Recover WeChat Chat History from iCloud Backup
This method is to restore iPhone from iCloud backup. Some people prefer backing up iPhone to iCloud which also includes WeChat data. The disadvantage of this method is the same as iTunes backup. All the data currently on your iPhone will be replaced by the backup. To recover your WeChat chat history from iCloud backup, follow the steps below.
- You should first delete all content on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General >Transfer or Reset iPhone > Erase All Content and Settings.
- After erasing data, iPhone will turn on.
- Follow the given on-screen instructions until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
- Click Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Using your Apple ID, sign in to iCloud.
- Select the most relevant backup.
- When a pop-up message appears alerting you of the availability or need for a new software then follow the given instructions to Update.
- Sign in with your Apple ID to restore your data and Apps.
- Keep your internet connection on and wait for the process to end.
- Finish setting up your device.
Now you can check your deleted or lost WeChat messages or media files. This method heavily relies on the network, so keep the connection stable and strong.
One Way to Recover Deleted WeChat Chat History without Backup
If you have no available backup file then it is impossible to get the deleted or lost WeChat chat history back without using a tool. You can use third-party apps such as the Tenorshare UltData to help find your lost data from your device. It supports both iPhone and Android.
Tenorshare UltData for iPhone
Tenorshare UltData is one of the most trusted iPhone data recovery software as it can retrieve almost all the types of data we usually need effectively. You do not need to have a backup in order to achieve this. The best part of it is that you can use the free trial to scan your device to check whether it can recover the WeChat chat history or not before you decide to purchase it.
Here is how to use this recovery tool:
- Using your computer, download and install UltData free trial version.
- Launch and select the Recover Data from iOS Devices option.
- With the help of a USB cable, connect your iOS device to your computer. Trust the computer and keep it unlocked.
- Select the data type you would like to recover which is WeChat & Attachments and then click on Scan.
- After the scanning, preview what the software has recovered.
- If it has recovered the WeChat chat history, you can purchase the full version and then use the license to activate the program.
- Then choose the chat history that you want to recover and tap on Recover to PC to store the data on your computer.
The disadvantage of this software is that you cannot restore the WeChat chat history back to your iPhone.
Tenorshare UltData for Android
This data recovery tool also has a version that supports Android phones. However, Tenorshare UltData for Android can only recover lost WeChat messages, contacts, photos, etc. from Xiaomi(China) and Huawei. If your phone is supported, follow the steps below to recover your deleted WeChat chat history on Android without a backup.
- Launch Tenorshare UltData for Android on your computer and select the Recover WeChat Data feature.
- Using the USB cable that you purchased together with your phone, connect your Android device to your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone by following the on-screen guide.
- Once your device is detected, tap on the Start button to scan for your lost WeChat data.
- All your WeChat data including the deleted data will be displayed after the scan process ends. Select chats you want and tap on Recover to restore them to your computer.
All the above methods are to help retrieve your lost WeChat data even if you do not have any backup. However, it is highly important for one to get in the habit of using various backup plans to secure data. This will ensure you have an easier and quicker data recovery process when you have such a need.